Finding water damage in your home can be stressful, but rest assured, you’re not alone. Water damage is very common in the U.S., affecting about 14,000 people every day. Water damage can be caused by a variety of issues including broken pipes, leaking appliances, and sewer problems. Extreme weather events like hurricanes, tornados, or floods can also cause major destruction. The bright side? There are a ton of resources and services available for people dealing with this problem. Here is a brief checklist you can follow.
- Safety First. The most important step is to make sure you and your family are safe. Depending on the extent of the damage, your family may need to temporarily relocate until your home is restored.
- Find the Source. If the conditions are safe enough for you to do so, try to find the source of the damage. Standing water, leaky ceilings, and other visual indicators can be symptoms of a bigger problem. You should turn off your home’s water to prevent further saturation. If you can’t find the source of the damage, calling in a professional should be your next move.
- Turn Off the Power. Water can find its way into outlets and other electrical fixtures. It’s best to eliminate the risk of water and electricity mixing. If you need to walk through wet or flooded areas to get to your circuit panel, call your utility company and ask them to shut off the power instead.
- Contact Your Insurance Company. Sudden and accidental water damage caused by a source inside of your home, like a busted pipe, is usually covered by a standard policy. Flood damage is not typically covered by standard home insurance and often requires a separate policy. Be sure to document the damage to your home and belongings so you will have all the information you need when you file a claim.
- Call in the Experts. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, then it might be time to get some extra help. Restoration companies can help with mold mitigation and offer a comprehensive repair plan. These companies usually work directly with your insurance and can answer many of your insurance-related questions.
Water damage should be addressed as soon as possible. At Restorative Pros Inc., we offer restoration services to homes and businesses in Orlando, Florida, and the surrounding areas. Contact us today to get started.